Pages

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Zechariah Moment

Behold the man. Meet Zechariah.

A priest.
A husband to Elizabeth.
The man to whom the angel of the Lord appeared & announced to him that his wife would give birth to a son, whom he was to name John (the Baptist, as we know), and that this son would be the forerunner of the Lord.

And this interests me:
Citing their advanced age, Zechariah asked with disbelief for a sign whereby he would know the truth of this prophecy. In reply, the angel identified himself as Gabriel, sent especially by God to make this announcement, and added that because of Zechariah's doubt he would be struck dumb and "not able to speak, until the day that these things shall be performed."
Read the context. Read more.

Having this in mind for the past months (yep, that's right, months), I had wished for that Zechariah moment:
That I would be struck dumb and not be able to speak, until the day the Lord's promises and plans on my life shall be performed and come to pass.
At least for my context and in terms of relevance, that's an application in a nutshell (I am not delving in to a rigorous study of the passage at the moment). The truth applies that there are times, our greatest villain, our number one enemy is ourselves. We speak against our situations and lives. We utter more of our doubts and fears but less of our hopes and dreams. We speak more of the impossibilities, spend a lot of time calculating the risks than shedding light and speaking forth faith, trust and life in a heartbeat. And the worst, we speak against God's plans, still unseen. Yet, we choose to doubt and not believe.

And for this reason, I want to be silenced.

---
"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." ~ Publius


"Your chances of blowing things up are directly proportional to the amount of time you spend with your mouth open." ~ Charles R. Swindoll
---

And with that, I couldn't agree more.

---

Still at the end of the day, still I am a hopeful soul... that when the Lord's plans and promises have come to pass, still like Zechariah, trusting to have that moment.
Immediately his mouth was opened and his tongue set free, and he began to speak, praising God.
 For image credit, click here.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...