Pages

Friday, November 09, 2012

Counter Encounter

"You know something? That still small voice will never shout."
It sure does and that's the way it has always been. Day in or day out, standing or lying down, going in or out, name it ~ It will really never shout.

---

It was shortly after our field work lunch that I decided to sit still and rest for a while. Some stood, went out, did their grocery, and some did their own little, mini-personal stuff. And so there I was, sitting idly by as I work & read through my mobile phone as I pass the time away.


Look away from your phone for a while and turn your eyes on your right.

Okay, so I did. Graphing out my location, about 30-ish meters away was a woman standing by the grocery counter. Seeing just a typical scenario, I went on with my phone. 


utne.com
Stand up. Go to that woman at the counter.

Before I even responded further to that, something came up again.


And please, bring your purse with you. The woman at the counter is short of money. Pay for how much she still needs.

I needed no thunderous voice nor a holy lightning to respond. In a heartbeat, I stood up bringing what I was told to bring. I know I do not have a sumptuous amount in my purse as it's an S.O.P. on field work not to bring such, but I find no harm in obeying.

A hi, a smile, and a quick glance on her grocery cart were the first few things I did when I came to the counter. I saw food and other goodies. She's a wife. She's a homemaker. She's a mom. 

Not so long (I opt not to elaborate), the woman and the cashier exchanged non-verbal, eye communication. And I was there ~ just there.

The woman released a deep, long sigh, "I am sorry, I just did not expect this. I am short of money and..."

Tada!

No further explanation needed. I immediately did the thing for which I was sent. I took out my purse and paid for the amount she still needs. And to my surprise, the not-so-much money I had was the exact amount she needs! The woman, the cashier and I were caught by surprise in different, unuttered ways.

Can somebody just made that up? I don't think so. It was a divine encounter at the counter. 

Days after, the woman made an effort to pay. I refused. She insisted. I refused again. Then she asked,

Why?


I smiled and said, "I didn't do that out of obligation. So I am not putting back such on you. You are completely not in debt. I did that out of obedience."


The encounter was not that grand, but it was a sincere act and expression of love from Above. I know the credit is not mine, but to the One who told me to stand.

For the past years, this I learned: Never doubt or discount your ability to hear from the Lord. A thunderous voice, a holy lightning we do not need, or even a question of doubt like "Maybe it's just me". A life-fellowship with Him can bring something extraordinary from an ordinary, still and peaceful day.

Told you ~ that still small voice will never shout. :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...