Pages

Saturday, December 10, 2011

The Brighter Side of Weariness

I cried myself to sleep a few nights ago. 


I realized I did so when I woke up the following day. It was nothing, I was just tired.


Really, I was just soo tired. So tired that my tear glands seemed to get activated too much, swelled up and flooded my eyes with tears.


Sometimes, it is hard, or not even close to possibly believe that one can shed tears even without any intense feelings or emotions... either a jubilant high or a depressing low. It is hard to put in to words, at least to explain how does that happen, but I know it. I just know it. My overtaxed strength formed the tears.


When we are tired, used up, exhausted, or whatever you may call it, we tend to be irritated, project what we feel towards others, shout, whine, play the blame-game, and the like. You know it. I know it. All of us have been there. 


But coming to terms with life this far (not so far yet) helped me see things, see weariness in a different side, the brighter side.


Can anything good come out from weariness? To this, I say, yes. :)


I maybe tired but comfort comes with the thought that it is for a cause and it brought results. It may mean expectations have been met, made somebody smile, feel valued & loved, plans worked, etc. --- for a cause of different sorts, not a by-product of idleness.


I remember someone told me to choose wisely where to direct or gear up energy --- and not to thoughtlessly give everybody a piece of you, or a slice of your strength to numerous, little 'unnecessaries'. Not to say that other people/things aren't important, but it goes to point that in reality, some people/things just want to take, sap, drain up your strength and leave you weary. 


But the greatest comfort comes from the Lord who knows each stage of our weariness. He has the perfect cure and knows how to recharge us. In His power words:
  • "My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalm 73:26 (NIV)
  • "The Sovereign LORD is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to tread on the heights." Habakkuk 3:19 (NIV)
  • "Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." Isaiah 40: 30-31 (NIV) 


And from Chuck Swindoll's 'Antidote for Weariness':
But let's understand that God does not dispense strength and encouragement like a druggist fills your prescription. The Lord doesn't promise to give us something to take so we can handle our weary moments. He promises us Himself. That is all. And that is enough.


In times when strength seemed to wave good-bye, let us be comforted with the truth that renewed strength has just come shining brighter through the window. The Lord Himself is our strength.


So, I say, the weary can wear a thousand smiles or more even after the tears. 



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...