Pages

Friday, February 24, 2012

On Hymns & Keys

I was greeted by sun rays through my blinds yesterday morning. "It's my off from work". It occurred to me finally, after regaining my senses from a restful sleep.


A facial warm-up smile, a "Good morning, Lord" and a few body stretches comprised the initial minutes of my day. As I resonate the Lord's gift of a new day and how unfailing He is, a sudden familiar tune took its course.


"Thou chang-est not, Thy com-pas-sions they fail not; ..." 

So, I found myself, singing the hymn away. Its message struck so fresh and new, spoke so strongly to me like never before. I can't get enough of it so I pulled out from my shelf my hymn book. Good thing I remembered I have it in my keeping! Then to the pages I turned, found the hymn [and the surrounding history] my lips was just singing, took my Bible & a cup of coffee, then on a serene moment I went on.




I am a hymn-lover. In a generation where melodies of songs kind of evolved, I still find hymns timeless. Its messages, gripping. Its stories, embracing. Each line, worth singing. I would not dare discount how the music & lyrics of each hymn came about. Each one speaks about the Lord, His attributes, His person - nothing more, nothing less. 


To fellow hymn-lovers, I know that upon reading that 'line' you already know what hymn I was talking about. :)




Great Is Thy Faithfulness, indeed!


I remember way back, when I was 14 years old, I would come near our keyboard and play the basic keys. And this is just one of the hymns I tried to play, alongside with my other favorite hymns. 




I am not a skillful player. I just read notes one at a time, with one hand. But given the chance, I'd like to learn how to play the 'ebony & ivory' ~ not for a recital piece, not for an audience's applause, not to become a weekly committed musician in church, but to simply play hymns for the Lord in mornings like yesterday.


Sing a hymn, play the keys.

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

"Great is Thy faithfulness," O God my Father,
There is no shadow of turning with Thee;
Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not
As Thou hast been Thou forever wilt be.


"Great is Thy faithfulness!" "Great is Thy faithfulness!"
Morning by morning new mercies I see;
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided-
"Great is the faithfulness," Lord, unto me!


Summer and winter, and springtime and harvest,
Sun, moon and stars in their courses above,
Join with all nature in manifold witness
To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love.

Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth,
Thy own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!


*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *


SNIPPET OF FACTS behind the hymn, GREAT IS THY FAITHFULNESS:

~ Inspired by Lamentations 3:22-23
~ "There was no dramatic story behind the writing of the hymn. It went rather slowly for several years." - Chisholm

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...