Pages

Saturday, February 25, 2012

The Mask of Zorro

It's friendship affirmation day for me today.
So, meet the man.



Meet Zorro.

I do not know what came up to me, that I felt the urge to write about this masked man. It has been a looong time now I have not seen the man I named Zorro. I have a sense that maybe after writing about him, I will be giving him due honor and credit, on how he impacted my life. He may not be able to read this post unless I tell him, but nonetheless, writing about him is all worth it. This is a part of my final closure, once and for all.

ENCOUNTER # 1

I came to know the existence of this man way back 2001 - in an institution where you expect to see the same group of people every week. With him, it's twice a week. With a countenance and a spirit that's uplifting, I know that it's because of the Lord Jesus. He loves the Lord and would start each meeting with exhortations, a Bible verse, and a prayer. Simple but sincere. With his brief, choicest words, he aimed to deliver the Word that would reach ears and touch hearts. 

ENCOUNTER # 2

"Who would be interested to join a campus fellowship?" he asked one day. 

In a heartbeat, I raised my hand. With a schedule that's already been caught up in a dry routine, I needed something to spice it up. So I did sign up, not fully aware what it really means to be in a campus fellowship where he also happens to be a part of.

It was in the fellowship I learned holistically. I am fully convinced that the Lord planned it all the way. Daily prayer meetings, Bible studies, small [cell] & large group meetings, camps and programs kept me on the groove and had made my student life meaningful and productive. My love for the Lord & His people deepened as the Lord revealed His heart, love & purposes.



Zorro and I eventually became friends, and I turned out to be his occasional confidant.

ENCOUNTER # 3

"Why don't you lead the fellowship next term?" 

As timid and reluctant as I am, I declined. He processed the thoughts and laid down the cards. Still I said no. He went on and did not stop, and tagged along with him another kuya. Okay, I give in.

"I will pray and think about it." I said. 

It all happened and things fell into place. The Lord took it from there and carried me all the way. The rest was history. 

ENCOUNTER # 4

"How would you like to work with me?" Hearing those words had made me wanting to strangle him this time. Haha.

"What?! You must be kidding me." 

My heart is already set, committed to the campus fellowship. Setting a plate before me for another responsibility would be too much. He knows that. But I was silenced by him.

For me, it's too overwhelming.
For him, it's possible. It can be done.

He was serious. Really serious. Well, if it's help that he needs, it's help that he'll get. It will just be for a few months. After I have granted his request, then I am free to go, so I thought. Pagbibigyan ko lang s'ya. Every time our paths crossed, he never failed to remind me of it. On separate times, he'd send text messages. At times, he'd call.

Little did I know where the Lord was actually leading me through him. The Lord brought me in a workplace always leaving me at a loss for words. Sorry, but I need a separate post for this one. :)

Zorro and I became colleagues and worked together for a few years.

Recalling: After I have granted his request, then I am free to go. Guess what? For the nth year I am still here - at the same workplace.

ENCOUNTER # 5

Life and time took its course that at some point, Zorro and I needed to part ways. I still remember the last time I saw him, as he was walking out, he said, "Good-bye, Jo." 

"Good-bye, Zorro." 

I don't think he heard it. I came to realize that all of these things were ordained by the Lord. HE prepared me for such a time as this. HE led me gently to His plans and purposes through the masked man.

"Zorro, you know I have never failed to thank you for everything you did for me. Thank you for sincerely believing in me before anybody else did ~ even at times I doubted myself. I am forever grateful to the Lord for knowing you. I declare the best of blessings upon you, your wife, and to your will-be-growing family. Aside from the reason of anonymityI think I needed to explain to you why I called you Zorro. I think you'd laugh. I think I'd laugh, too. Should that time come [if not, it's okay] only until then, I will share to my readers why I called you Zorro. And only until then, I shall be unmasking you. :)"

So, time to go.
Hoping to see you again, Zorro.




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...