Pages

Thursday, March 08, 2012

And the Praying Mantis Prayed

If I am going to ride with the belief that we have this so-called 'past life', I'd say I was a praying mantis. I was a praying mantis in a sense that (1) I love color green and, (2) I dance like one. :)


I will help you picture it out. Watch this:




That was a perfect picture of me. My brain seem uncoordinated with my arms, legs and body. Both feet were left. Elbows everywhere, here and there. Grace and poise, totally nowhere. 


But, thanks to this comment: "Why can't you dance like your sister?"


I wasn't hurt --- at all. It didn't matter to me. I just grinned. I know myself. I know what I can & can't do, and I won't push myself into doing something that I don't really like. Well, if they can't bear with my dancing, better pull me out from the rehearsal.


After a few years, there was a turn.


Behind closed doors, this mantis asked, "Lord, what can I do for you? I can't sing or dance and doesn't seem to have any talent. I don't know."


Sing? I can't have that confidence to sing in front of a crowd. I think I never will.
Dance? Hmm, maybe. At least I won't be holding microphones --- which is one of my fears. But the problem is, I can't dance.


*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *


And this praying mantis prayed, 
"Lord, teach me to dance. My dancing will only be for You."

There was no thunderous voice after that prayer. She just knows that after that day, she was so inspired and excited to go home to play on a music and dance to it --- behind closed doors. She was not mindful anymore of how she moves. She just danced her heart away before her Dance Instructor.


Discovery came little by little: what her body can do, explored its capability and flexibility.


Each afternoon became an opportunity to building up disciplines in warming up the body, discovering personal techniques in spinning, turning, lifting arms and legs. No one knows about it but the Dance Instructor and the praying mantis. Eventually, dancing became a part of her.


After 4 years of dancing behind closed doors, an opportunity came by surprise. Left without a choice, this mantis had to dance in an auditorium. 




With a heart pounding so hard, a throat  that's starting to get dry, the mantis gathered up herself and prayed and said: 
"This is it, Lord. Let's do this. This is for You."
Then there was this spotlight. The auditorium was very quiet, you can almost hear a pin drop.

It was the praying mantis' first dance. She danced to this song and danced her heart away like nobody's watching. It was a free-spirited dance offered to the Dance Instructor to Whom the mantis prayed that she may be able to dance. And the mantis was never the same again.

One dance came after the other, always with her ever-faithful Dance Instructor. 


The praying mantis admits that she is not the best worship dancer in the world. She is a work in progress. She is still learning and discovering. One thing she strongly knows she has --- the heart to the dance for the audience of One.


And you know what? This praying mantis still prays.

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

GUIDANCE: GOD, YOU AND I DANCE
When I meditated on the word Guidance, 
I kept seeing " dance" at the end of the word.
I remember reading that doing God's will is a lot like dancing.
When two people try to lead, nothing feels right.
The movement doesn't flow with the music, 
and everything is quite uncomfortable and jerky.
When one person realizes that, and lets the other lead, 
both bodies begin to flow with the music.
One gives gentle cues, perhaps with a nudge to the back
or by pressing lightly in one direction or another.
It's as if two become one body, moving beautifully.
The dance takes surrender, willingness, 
and attentiveness from one person
and gentle guidance and skill from the other.
My eyes drew back to the word Guidance.
When I saw "G" I thought of God, followed by "u" and "i".
"God, "u" and "i" dance."
God, you, and I dance.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...