Pages

Friday, July 13, 2012

Incidental Collection

My previous posts had been quite serious. So, it's time to take a break. I am here for something light. :)

Thanks to Francine Rivers' blog post that has gotten my attention a few months back. Basically, this is a response to her post, Collections.

Francine Rivers: What do you collect?
This Blogger: I collect...

STAPLE WIRES!

Yes, you read it right. I collect staple wires --- the useless, rejected, unwanted ones.

Francine Rivers (again): And do you have any idea why?
This Blogger (again): I do! :)

You may find it silly - collecting used staple wires. The collection idea wasn't really there. It had somewhat sprung up from what was already there. It was unintentional. It was incidental.

Working in a carpeted workplace a few years ago had made me pick used staple wires around my station. I can't imagine how worried I was about the carpet! I was cautious for the wires not to scatter around. If I happen to remove them from a pile of sheets of paper/documents, I would do so carefully and find a container where I can just gather them and ~ nothing! Just nothing.

And so the staple wires increased and increased as I stayed in my workplace for years and years. 

From a small container (where I used to place them), I transferred them to a quite bigger one. Then my 'artsy' sense made me buy a vase just for these wires (Can you imagine?)!


So, my wires found a home in my workstation. It's funny how some of my colleagues come to me with a closed hand saying,

"I saw you're collecting staple wires. Here, take this. I reserved these wires for you."

Some pass by my desk and would touch and feel the wires inside.

Initially, I do not have any idea of what I am going to do with this. But eventually, my mind is kind of working for these wires. Once my vase is full, I will let you know. :)

What makes us collect what we do? Mine was incidental. I think that explains it for my staple wires. But I also think, it springs up from what is already there, from what we already have - those little things that make us happy. Then we let it grow, then to the people we show.

What does the collection say about us? Like Francine, I'm afraid to guess. Next question please.

As for me, I will still be collecting useless, rejected, unwanted staple wires. I don't know how many vases of staple wires I will be able to fill in my lifetime --- never mind. I will just keep on doing what I do.

It makes me happy.
And it is good to see a floor staple-wire-free!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...